We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Yay for Christian Saller

Once again, there is some coincidence between what I have written about this election cycle and what Sixth Ward aldermanic candidate Christian Saller has stated.

Two days before my post of yesterday, " Election Next Week: Yawn! I Mean, Yay!", Saller posted this statement to his campaign blog:

I do not and have not disparaged my opponents throughout the course of this campaign. I am happy to be cordial and polite when we see each other in person and have made it my policy to avoid saying anything about them when I go door to door or otherwise interact with constituents in the 6th Ward. I have campaigned on my merits and why I think I would perform well as a full-time alderman with a strong emphasis on constituent service and economic development. In my view, the unfortunate tendency of some to attempt to "trash" opponents or to even subtly demean them in some manner diminishes the caliber of the entire campaign, so I have not and will not engage in such behavior. As candidates, we differ in style and substance, though I am willing to assume that we all have sincere and honorable intentions in our respective approaches to the job.

While it's easy to disagree with that last sentence, overall the statement is exemplary. Hopefully it will carry some weight with voters and other candidates, at least at some point in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, many voters don't consider character. I think Christian can be overly idealistic (I disagree with his stance of never selling any parkland), but he is a man of strong values and excellent character. Hopefully, more voters will see past other candidates better funded and connected than the faithful steward found in Saller.

Anonymous said...

Christian is really a great person and the City would be well-served with him as an Alderman. I wish more people like him were willing to be involved in political life.