We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Departures

Randall Roberts, the senior member of the Riverfront Times staff, DJ, KDHX host, cultural gadabout, satirist and trend-setter departs for Los Angeles at the end of June.

Randall's departure will be followed in July by that of Joseph Heathcott and Ashley Cruce. Joseph is professor of urban studies at St. Louis University, counselor to Landmarks Association of St. Louis, board member of the Red Brick Community Land Trust and outspoken urbanist; his wife Ashley is professor of social work at St. Louis University, where she also directs the Center for Social Justice. Joseph has taken a professorship at the New School in New York City.

May the coasts cherish the talent, vision and joy these St. Louisans have shared here. May St. Louis become a city that could have kept these folks around longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

St. Louis is a place that can keep people around just fine.

Ask the people who leave and wish they were still here.

Anonymous said...

Then why are they not here? Facts are facts, ... funny

Anonymous said...

St. Louis is a "roots" city, and needs people wanting to plant roots.

Grass roots, musical roots, family roots, all find fertile earth here.

St. Louis is also a gatweay city. Lots of people use this town as a gateway for personal growth. Academically, professionally, religiously.

We bid our St. Louis borne traveller's farewell.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Michael. It's with mixed emotions that I leave St. Louis, and I feel like at some point I'll be back. I've spent the past fifteen years here, and loved every minute of it. I'm keeping my building (and have a vacancy right now, btw. anyone?), and my friend Lucy will be tending to it in my absence. But I've gotta try somewhere else for a while. I've got a few opportunities in LA, as well as a dear friend with a pretty room for me, and an office for me four blocks away.