We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

"....since no one in the Congo wanted to hire a banana thief...."

So, while putzing around on the 'net, I went to look at the website of ONSL's most famous landmark, Crown Candy. (I can't even tell you how many times I've had the "I live in Old North St. Louis." "Where?" "I live around the corner from Crown Candy." "OHHH!" dialogue. I've lost count.)

I don't know if you made it to Crown Candy this spring, but they were selling dozens and dozens of t-shirts reading "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONKEY." And they had hundreds and hundreds of the product that the shirt advertised: the chocolate Easter monkey.

I only just now came across the link to The Story of the Traditional Easter Monkey. I don't know how I never saw this before, but I highly recommend it. It is the kind of story that could only come out of a place like Crown's and a neighborhood like this one.

No comments: