We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Does Red Mean More Rain?



Here is the Weather Ball atop the General American Life Insurance Building at 15th and Locust. I took this photograph last week from the roof of the building, looking up (of course). The ball, which dates to the 1950s, is a constant red these days. In the past, the building manager would change the color according to weather conditions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other past variables: the outcome of home baseball games.

These days, though, the red ball advertises Red Moon . . .

We're glad to have it back.

Michael R. Allen said...

Thanks for the additional facts, Anonymous! I did not know about the connection with the results of home baseball games. Very cool.

The time stamps of my post, your response and my reply suggest that at least I should go outside for a walk...

Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl, my mother worked at the downtown public library. We would ride downtown with my father to pick her up after work in the evenings. The attraction for us besides seeing our mother was seeing what color the weather ball would be.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the other night that the word "Shell" at the top center of the Shell Building is now illuminated as well - it looks very cool!