We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Bell Telephone

SBC is now AT&T. The merger went through today. Eric Seelig of Pointless Website [ link now defunct] asked on the phone, "What exactly are the legal implications of a monopoly that was broken up, re-forming?" I'm scratching my head on that one, too, and none of the SBC AT&T employees I talked with had much to say about it.

One of them did have something to say about the new logo (unveiled today!), though: "It looks like a whiffle ball."
"Like a whiffle ball?" I asked.
"You know the old logo that looked like the Death Star?"
"Yeah?"
"It looks like that, but like it was drawn by a child. It looks like it was drawn by a child. The letters are all lowercase, and that makes it look even more childish. Nobody likes it. Billion dollar company, and that's the best they can come up with?"

...hm. I wonder when we'll see this brave new design posted atop the massive, gray tower on Pine Street?

1 comment:

Eric said...

Hmm, to be honest, I think I do like the new logo better - it makes sense that they'd do it, it's more contemporary-looking, simple, but aesthetically pleasing, a la Apple. I still think that the whole lowercase thing's just a fad, though. Not everyone is e. e. cummings.

And I'm still unsure what the legal implications of this are.