We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Making a List: What Streets Should be Reopened?

What closed, blocked or vacated St. Louis streets would you like to see reopened?

Please let us know.

Here's my list:
- Swan, Norfolk and Vista at Taylor
- St. Charles from 10th to 9th and 8th to Broadway (lots of demolition of new junk needed for this)
- Dolman at Lafayette and at Chouteau
- Carroll at the Truman Parkway
- Hadley between Warren and Benton
- Benton between 13th and Hadley
- 14th between St. Louis and Warren and between Madison and Chambers
- Montgomery between Blair and 13th
- Chambers between 13th and 14th
- Locust between 4th and Broadway
- Pine between Jefferson and Beaumont
- 16th and 17th between Martin Luther King and Cole
- 15th between Delmar and Cole
- 13th between Market and Clark
- Geyer between Jefferson and Ohio

That's just off the top of my head and includes merely places that I have been in the last week. What do you want to add?

5 comments:

Rick Bonasch said...

What about making some one-way streets 2-way? There are lots of those I'd support.

Anonymous said...

In my 'hood: Illinois at Arsenal on the east side of Benton Park.

Don't even get me started on all of the "temporary" ghetto barriers in BPW and Gravois Park that have wrecked havoc on my life. I know Schmid says they cut down on crime, but I'm not buying it.

Anonymous said...

I'm with susan...I live in the Gravois Park /BPW neighborhood as well, and in my opionion, the barriers have done nothing but make traffic even more dangerous by funnelling more traffic to the fewer options remaining for entering and exiting the neighborhood.....

Michael R. Allen said...

I'm all for converting the one-way streets into two-way streets. The list may be obvious for downtown. What other ones are on your list?

Anonymous said...

I forgot about my own street, Missouri Ave. is blocked at S. Broadway, which drives me crazy. Also, Concordia Publishing has been allowed to fence off and completely take over Indiana Ave., just south of Potomac. It completely cuts them off from the neighborhood, which I'm sure is what they want. I've lived a block from Concordia for three years and I've never once met anyone in the neighborhood who works there. I think they all stay behind the fence.