We've Moved

Ecology of Absence now resides at www.preservationresearch.com. Please change your links and feeds.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Switzer Demolition Begins Monday

Demolition of the Switzer Building begins on Monday. Supposedly the wrecking ball will make its first strike at 10:00 p.m. that day.

More information is available in this post on MayorSlay.com.

Demolition will not include the three adjacent historic buildings to the north also owned by Clarinet LLC. Clarinet is salvaging the cast iron storefront and much of the decorative limestone from the front elevation for potential reuse.

4 comments:

Doug Duckworth said...

10PM? Are you planning on watching the demolition? I think I may have to get some video.

Michael R. Allen said...

I will be there on Monday night and perhaps other nights as well. You know me -- I can't stay away!

Anonymous said...

I recall, from the early 70's, my dad coming home from a sales call to Switzer on the landing. He brought home several complimentary bags of Switzer's, licorice and cherry. It was STILL WARM in the bags! Freshly manufactured and warm off the machine. I can almost still feel the bags in my hands. I'm glad that I have such a good memory from this building, otherwise the criminal act of neglect-- not necessarily perpetrated by the current ownership-- which led to this sad day would be more painful.

Anonymous said...

Love this ad. Took these pics in June of 1999 while passing through St Louis and meeting Wm Stage. check out the images on my website at http://www.fadingad.com/017.html

Fight to keep fading ads on buildings!